Monday, December 13, 2010

Heartbreaking weekend

This weekend was such a bag of mixed emotions. On Saturday, my niece came up and we crafted Christmas presents all weekend. It was a blast and I totally enjoyed myself and I think she did too.

Sunday was my family (extended) Christmas lunch. I was so looking forward to spending time with the cousins and catching up. This was our year to host so I went straight to the building before stopping by Mom and Dad's. When Mom arrived, I was surprised and shocked. She looked so bad--really beyond bad. She was barely coherent and couldn't really talk. She would start to say something and then loose track of what she was saying and she couldn't stand and walk without someone holding on to her.

About 1:30p, she wanted to go home so my nephew and I helped her home and put her to bed. When I got back to the gathering, I talked with my dad and he broke down and started crying. I've only seen my dad cry once in his life at his mom's funeral. My heart broke. He doesn't know what to do or how to handle the situation. So we put together a plan. My sister would go with him to the hospital for pre-op instructions. My brother and I would take off work and call my mom's doctor and deal with mom.

Long story short, straight to the ER where they found out mom had a really severe bladder infection and very toxic calcium levels. She was admitted and now we're hoping we can get her medicine figured out and get her on the road to recovery.

The whole situation has taken an emotional toll on everyone. My heart breaks for both of my parents.

3 comments:

moni said...

Well, I'm glad that your mom is in the hospital getting the care she needs. Hopefully, once she gets her meds regulated, she will be ok. It could have been something much worse.

MJ said...

Saying a prayer for your mom, your dad, and you! Hope she gets better soon!!!

Caroline said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Sending you and your family lots of good thoughts and prayers.