Sunday, November 8, 2009

Real Score

So when we play golf, we each take a "first tee box" blues shot if needed (aka. re-d0) to start off the game. Then we give each other a mulligan on the front 9 and one on the back 9. (aka. re-do's) Most of the time, I try really hard to stick to this and play my score as close as possible. However, there are times that I will not count a stroke here and there because of circumstances that happen (Cowboy talking in my back swing, the ball going in the rough and not being able to find it, etc.) You get the picture.

Yesterday, we played with Cowboy's son and his wife. It was a beautiful day and great to be out on the course. I have hurt my elbow and thought that I would struggle on the course but decided that I just needed to stay focused and play my game. I played a fantastic first 9 holes. I it the green on my tee shot on a par 3. I hit another drive 40 yards from the green on a par 4. Hit a pitch shot off the green and into the hole for a birdie and so on. I was on fire. I shot my lowest 9 holes ever....42.

The second 9 started a little rough and not a many remarkable shots but still pretty good for the day and my elbow. On number 17, I hit a monster drive but at the same time, something popped in my elbow....not good. I finished pretty good and didn't make many bad shots, I did have to take two mulligans and ended up with a 48. It was the best round of golf that I ever played. My lowest had been a 97 but I was one stroke away from being in the 80's which is awesome for me. I felt pretty good because that was a legitimate score (aside from the 2 mulligans).

Cowboy and his son shot scores in the high 80's. Now they on the other hand gave themselves a few breaks. Didn't count lost balls or balls in the water. But that's not my concern. I figure everyone plays their game how they play it and whatever they want to do is fine.

So on the way home, we were recapping the day and I was pretty excited about the day. I made a simple comment about wondering what their scores (Cowboy and the son) would have been if they had kept score the right way. Oh my gosh, was that the wrong thing to say. For the next 20 minutes I heard a tirade about score keeping and getting breaks and not counting strokes and on and on and on and on. So much so that I stopped talking and tuned Cowboy out. Really, be a man and admit that you take a few liberties.

Come to find out, Cowboy thought I was calling him a cheat and implying that I would have beat him. So not what I as saying. But hey, if the shoe fits....

Lesson learned...Let him play his game, I'll play mine and I'll kick the shit out of him but not mention it again...except for maybe here and then I'll laugh about it.

1 comment:

Monogram Queen said...

Yes sometimes discretion IS the better part of valor....


oh and men are weenies!